Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Leashes

Dog walkers everywhere, of course, are encouraged to leash their dogs during walks. It's a safety precaution for furry and human friends alike.

I have a cousin, however, who lives in a more quiet, country neighborhood. She can walk her dog without a leash so she can walk for one mile, and Paris can run about for five miles.

As a general rule, I would say dog owners should walk their dogs with leashes. I had always had a personal irksome feeling when I thought of a leash, but really they aren't as bad as they sound. The dogs are happy to go outside for their exercise, and we can be happy for their well being as they won't run into a skunk in your neighbor's bushes.

Now, returning to my cousin, I know in her neighborhood that this non-leash walking could be okay. There's very little to worry about. No cars even go through there, and she's usually walked early morning, when the sun's up but the rest of the world isn't. For this sort of situation, I guess I would say use good judgment. Know your dog and your community. Leashes are a safety thing, and if your dog would be unsafe with the freedom of roaming, than take the extra precaution when not at home or in the yard.

1 comment:

Raaa. said...

Very true.
I always get worried of dogs when they are running around because you never know what they're going to do. Saying that, it is definitely fair to let the dog run around in a situation like your cousins.