Monday, August 13, 2007

Animal Assisted Therapy

I thought I would take a moment to acknowledge the interesting and, to me, important integration in many medical, educational, and recovery programs: Animal Assisted Therapy/Activities. I myself am awaiting the date in which my guinea pig, Zoe, and I will be evaluated. She is quite friendly and likes a good scratch on the forehead.

How do I feel about such activities? I think they are rather brilliant. One possibility is to bring animals to children. The children can acquire a certain understanding of other creatures this way. They can feel compassion for diversity beyond human communication. I believe education is a fantastic privilege, and this is another pocket of education, in which a love is spread; love of life. Learning love beyond humans can prove to be quite beneficial.

The ill and elderly. So common is it to find animals being petted and cooed for purposes of healing and relieving. Not only are they a great activity and conversation topic for those who don't have so quite a full schedule, but they are calming and a pleasure to be around.

I have heard from certain animal rights activists that this is exploiting animals for human purposes, but I do not believe this to be so. The animals would hardly be eligible for AAT or AAA if they did not enjoy attention and feel comfortable around strangers. I know of people whose dogs and cats know when they will go to their activities and show visible excitement. It also brings more understanding of animals. The human half of an Animal Assisted Therapy team can teach others about animals and speak of all the little quirks of their own companion.

It's not so say that everyone in need should receive such therapy. There are those who truly do not like or appreciate animals. For them, therapy can come in other ways.

All in all, however, I think it is a rewarding experience. I'm very much looking forward to getting a license to be able to show others my strange-furred guinea pig, in all her squeaky oddities.

Here is the Delta Society's website for such activities. I encourage all interested to look at the website to learn more.

No comments: